Baby Step Bourbon
Learn Step-By-Step How To Make Baby Step Bourbon
In this recipe, we’re going to walk you through, step-by-step how to make Baby Step Bourbon. All of the supplies you’ll need for making your own homemade Baby Step Bourbon can be found in our shop. If you’re looking to make a delicious brandy or vodka, check out our distilling guides such as how to make vodka or how to make brandy.
At Mile Hi Distilling, we love helping people who are passionate about spirits with helpful guides, recipes, and top-quality moonshine stills and supplies. Learning how to make a great batch of baby step bourbon requires a lot of attention to detail. So be sure to plan thoroughly and execute carefully to create the best watermelon wine possible. Let’s get started!
Browse By Step. Click on any of these links to jump to the step you want to see:
Baby Step Bourbon Ingredients
Baby Step Bourbon Recipe
Baby Step Bourbon Ingredients:
- 7 lbs. Faked maize
- ¾ lbs. Flaked Rye
- 1 lb. flaked wheat
- 2 lbs. malted barley, ground
- 1 tsp. gypsum
- 1 tsp. Acid blend
- 5 gallons water
- Charred oak chips (or barrel)
- Brew Pot
- Long Spoon
- Fermentation Bucket
- Heat Source
- Cheese Cloth or Strainer (whichever you prefer)
Baby Step Bourbon Recipe
- In a large stockpot mix water, gypsum, acid blend. Measure pH and make sure it is within range.
- If pH is too high, add a tsp. of gypsum.
- Cover pot and heat until 165°F.
- Turn off heat and add flaked maize, rye, and wheat.
- Stir five minutes to ensure even distribution until mixture is thick and slushy.
- Stir occasionally until mash cools to 152°F then stir in malted barley.
- Let mash cool to 149°F , cover, and allow mash to rest 90 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cool mash further to 76°F (or optimal temperature for your specific yeast) and add yeast.
- Allow the mix to ferment.
- Add fermentation to your still and begin the distillation process.
- Age using oak chips or a barrel until you have reached your desired flavor and color.
How To Taste Baby Step Bourbon:
To get the most out of any tasting experience, selecting an appropriate glass is paramount. For sipping bourbon, a tulip-shaped vessel with a small base will prove to be your best friend. Not only does it provide increased maneuverability and grip-ease but its angled shape allows for better sensory exploration when taking in aromas from different perspectives.
To best appreciate a bourbon’s unique flavor, take it one step at a time. Start with experiencing the aroma; training your nose on different notes and hints of the spirit can be incredibly rewarding! A proper-tasting glass is ideal for this task – swirl around to aerate before taking in its scent by placing your nose right up to (or even into) the glass itself. Remember: keep lips slightly parted as you sniff so that alcohol doesn’t overpower other aromas, allowing true complexity to shine through.
New to tasting bourbon? Start your journey with the “Kentucky Chew.” This method ensures all areas of your tongue, known as “tasting zones,” are equally exposed to and recognize every flavor component in a spirit. Once you take a mouthful, coat it evenly by gently moving the liquid around with chewing-like motions for an immersive experience. Consider sweetness, texture, dryness, or wetness along with intensity levels when deciding which varieties appeal most to you!
Congratulations! You have just made your own batch of delicious homemade Baby Step Bourbon. We hope this recipe was helpful for you and that you churned out a top-shelf batch. Now comes the cleanup step. Be sure to wash everything thoroughly to ensure a high-quality product in the future. Disassemble your equipment and store it in a cool, dry place.
Thank you for visiting Mile Hi Distilling, your one-stop shop for all of your moonshine still and distilling product needs. Don’t forget to check out our shop for any supplies or equipment you may need for any future recipes or distillations. We hope you enjoyed learning how to make this baby step bourbon.
If you enjoyed this recipe on how to make baby step bourbon, check out our other recipes including our raspberry moonshine recipe.
Let us know what you thought of this guide by leaving a comment or a star rating below.